Superfoods are primarily plant based food but also contain some dairy and fish. They are widely believed to be rich in nutrition and good for health. Although there are many foods that have been labeled superfoods, there are no clear criteria for determining what a superfood is and what it is not.
Superfoods contain a wide range of nutrients like antioxidants which have several health benefits like the prevention of cancer. They also contain healthy fats which are believed to fight heart diseases and fiber which prevents digestive problems and diabetes. There are many foods considered as superfoods, let’s take a look at some of them below.
The Most Popular Superfoods
Berries: Berries are unarguably one of the most popular superfoods as they are rich in phytochemicals, soluble fiber, and vitamins. Berries like blueberries, cranberries, and strawberries are rich in these health-boosting nutrients.
Sweet Potatoes: Another food that tops the superfoods chain. Sweet potatoes serve as a great source of vitamin A, fiber, and much more nutrients. They are naturally sweet and require no butter, salt, or cream to be added to the potatoes.
Whole Grains: Whole grains and beans are also ranked as superfoods. Beans are a great source of low-fat protein and also contain insoluble fiber, soluble fiber, trace minerals, and several vitamins. Whole grains have identical nutrients to beans; however, they do not contain as much protein as beans.
Leafy Greens: Kale is widely hyped as a superfood and dark leafy greens like Swiss chard, mustards, spinach, collards, broccoli, and cabbage are all ranked as superfoods as well. They are renowned for being great sources of calcium, fiber, vitamin A, C, and K, and other minerals.
Fatty Fish: Salmon, mackerel, sardines, and other fatty fish are rich in omega-3 fatty acids which helps to lower the risks of stroke and heart diseases.
Nuts and Seeds: Nuts and seeds are rich in healthy fats and minerals. Although they are high in calories, they are still considered superfoods nevertheless.
The Benefits Of Superfoods
There are numerous benefits of superfoods. Here, we would take a look at some of the most popular benefits of superfoods.
- Superfoods have a high level of vitamins and minerals that helps the body to resist diseases and keep you healthier.
- When superfoods are properly incorporated into a balanced diet, they help to promote a healthy heart, aid weight loss, boost energy levels, and decrease the effects of aging.
- The antioxidant in superfoods also helps to prevent cancer, while superfood healthy fats can help reduce the risk of heart diseases.
- The fiber in many superfoods can prevent digestive problems and diabetes.
- Phytochemicals also found in superfoods, are also extremely beneficial for reducing a person’s risk of having cardiovascular diseases.
- Superfoods also help in protecting the body’s organs from harmful toxins, reduce cholesterol levels, reduce inflammation, and regulate the body’s metabolism.
How To Incorporate Superfood Into Your Diet
Superfoods can be easily incorporated into your diet. Below are a few tips to help you easily incorporate superfoods into your diet.
- Replace poultry or beef with tofu or salmon in your diet
- Have green tea or wellness tea daily
- Spice your meals with cumin, turmeric, oregano, clove, ginger, or cinnamon
- Snack on nuts, seeds, and dried fruits
- Add berries to your cereal, oatmeal, baked food, or salad
- Add shredded leafy greens to your stir-fries and soups
- Add kale and beets to your food
Wellness Tea As A Way To Boosts Our Consumption Of Superfoods
Wellness teas are a good source of antioxidants. The potent antioxidants found primarily in green tea, catechin, have been proven to have anti-carcinogenic and anti-inflammatory properties which are beneficial to the body. Other wellness tea benefits include reduction of stress levels and suppression of overall inflammation.
Wellness teas and other natural herbs are cheap and easy strategies to improve your overall health. You can improve your health by using wellness teas and other natural teas. Because wellness teas are a renowned type of superfood, a cup of wellness tea a day is a great way to begin incorporating superfoods in our diet.
Superfoods are essential for our overall health and vitality due to the numerous benefits they provide. A well-balanced superfoods diet must include vegetables, lean protein, whole grains, nuts, and legumes. No single food has all the health benefits our body needs, hence it is essential to eat a wide range of nutrients rich superfoods that our body needs.