MS Outlook is a popular mail service, provides a number of great features that help you work efficiently within an organization or in person. However, some unexpected search errors occur, and you keep looking for how to fix Outlook search problems? It usually shows up when you update Outlook or Windows to the latest version.
To overcome this problem, we will discuss some efficient solutions in this article. You can follow up on a few steps mentioned below and solve the Outlook indexing issue quickly. First, let us know the reasons behind the error.
Causes of search problems in Outlook 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007
Your search index may not update when you add extra mailboxes, rebuild PST files, or migrate emails, resulting in an Outlook 2013 search difficulty open file. There could be several causing factors for this. Some of the reasons for the indexing issue in Outlook are as follows:
- PST file corruption
- You are using an out-of-date version of Outlook.
- Malfunctioning anti-virus software Problems with incompatibility.
- The Outlook index is having issues.
These could be the common root causes of search issues occurring in Outlook. Let us know how to fix Outlook search problems.
How to Fix Outlook Search Problems
Following are some of the strategies mentioned below, implementing which you can repair your MS Outlook just in a few steps. These methods include opening Outlook in safe mode, checking the Outlook data files Index Settings, and Repairing Outlook using Inbox Repair Tool.
Technique 1: Start Outlook in a Secure Mode
Problems like search in Outlook not working often occurs when Outlook is not running in safe mode. You must first check for the same, and if it is not, follow up the below steps.
- Press the Windows + R keys at the same time.
- Now type outlook /safe in the Run box and hit OK.
After launching Outlook in safe mode, disable the add-ins. And to do that, follow the steps below.
- Select Options from the File menu.
- Now, choose Add-ins from the left pane.
- Press COM Add-ins and then hit the Go button.
- To disable the needed Add-in, deselect the checkbox next to it and click OK.
- Restart the Outlook program now.
Technique 2: Checking the Outlook data files Index Settings
If the search function in Outlook not working, double-check the index settings for your OST and PST files. Follow the steps below to do so:
- First, go to File in Outlook, then press Option.
- Click the Indexing Options option after clicking the Search tab.
- Check to see if Microsoft Outlook has been added to the Indexing Locations list, then select Advanced.
- If Outlook isn’t already indexed, click Modify to add it.
- Click the File Types button under Advanced Options and check the OST and PST checks.
- Now go to the Index Settings tab and select Rebuild from the drop-down menu.
- Restart Outlook now.
Technique 3: Inbox Repair Tool(PST Repair Tool)
It is an inbuilt utility in MS Outlook that repairs the corrupted Outlook PST and OST files. Follow up the below step-by-step guide to know how to fix Outlook search problems:
- Go to the following location according to the version of your Outlook.
In Outlook 2016
32-bit Windows- C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office16
64-bit Windows- C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office16
64-bit Outlook- C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office16
Click-to-Run- C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\office16
In Outlook 2013
32-bit Windows- C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office15
64-bit Windows- C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15
64-bit Outlook- C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office15
Click-to-Run- C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\office15
In Outlook 2010
32-bit Windows- C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14
64-bit Windows- C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14
64-bit Outlook- C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14
In Outlook 2007
32-bit Windows- C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12
64-bit Windows- C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12
- Open SCANPST.EXE file. Browse the file you want to repair and click on Scan to start the scan process.
- Click Repair and wait until it gets done.
If you are using a higher version of Outlook and facing problems like Outlook 2019 search not working, try out the steps one by one given below:
- First, close all the MS programs.
- From the Control Panel box, type Programs & Features.
- In the list of installed programs and features, look for Microsoft Office and click it.
- After that, choose Quick Repair or Online Repair, and then the Repair button.
- When the fix has finished, restart Outlook.
Professional Method to Solve Outlook Indexing Issue
Furthermore, If PST files have gotten severely corrupted, the methods mentioned above would not solve the problem efficiently. In that case, you can opt for an automated PST Recovery Tool also. That recovers corrupt Outlook PST file mailboxes and can convert them into various secure file formats such as PST, EML, text files, etc.
You have now seen the causes listed and various methods to resolve the search problems in Outlook 2019, 2016, 2013, 2012, and 2007. Therefore, you can go through all the methods mentioned above and choose one of them to know how to fix Outlook search problems as per your need.