Hair oil is one of the most underrated haircare items. For years, it has been demonised as an agent that makes your hair appear oily and greasy. However, when used correctly, it can hydrate, moisturise, smoothen, and protect the hair. In fact, hair growth oil can stimulate the follicles and catalyse hair growth.
We bring to you handy advice shared by the industry experts, on how to make the best use of hair oil.
Why is Oiling Important Anyway?
The natural oils produced by the body prevent the hair from becoming dry and brittle. Sebum, which is secreted by the sebaceous gland, lubricates the external cuticle and strengthens the internal core structure by hydrating it. Thus, it is a gift that is heaven-sent for those who have a dry scalp.
Hair oil mimics the natural oils that the body produces. As such, it can promote the health of your hair. Not only that, in addition to being a natural moisturising and nourishing agent, it can also make the hair smooth and acts as a less damaging hair styling tool.
Who Should Use Hair Oil?
Before you go and purchase your bottle of hair oil, it is important to consider whether you should be using hair oil. First, you need to consider your hair type and texture along with your scalp condition.
Normally, hair growth oils work exceptionally well for those who struggle with a tight or dry scalp, which lacks moisture. Applying oil reinstates the natural shine and lustre that your hair possesses typically.
As for hair types, you could use hair oil on coarse, curly, and textured hair to tame and style them. Hair that has been chemically treated also tends to be drier. Hence, applying oil will hydrate it and make it appear voluminous.
Who Should Stay Off Hair Oil?
Those having very fine or straight hair can skip an excessive application of hair oil since their scalp produces a sufficient amount of oil. However, these oils get uniformly distributed across the scalp and hair shaft if you brush your hair regularly while also washing it now and then.
If you have fine hair and wish to apply oil, refrain from applying it directly at the root of the hair as it will make your hair look limp, lifeless, and greasy.
Tips to Use Hair Growth Oil
Here are a few tips on how to make the best use of hair oil:
- To use hair oil as a moisturiser, apply hair oil and pop into a hot shower. The steam in the shower will open the hair cuticle and penetrate the hair follicles. Follow this up with shampoo and conditioner to give your hair a new life.
- To transform your dull hair, apply a mixture of hair conditioner and hot oil into your hair and scalp. Massage it in. Sit under a heating cap for some 20 minutes and wash out the oil thoroughly.
- To make use of hair oil as a styling product, apply a thin layer of light oil after you have blow-dried your hair. It enables your hairstyle to stay longer.
- As a rule of thumb, apply a dime-sized amount of hair oil for dry hair and a nickel-sized amount of hair oil for heat-damaged, dry hair. Rub it between your fingers before applying it to your hair.
- Avoid over-oiling your hair.
- Start oiling your scalp from the part where your hair is dense and then move towards the less dense region.
- In order to control frizzy hair, you can apply some oil to your towel-dried hair immediately after washing it. Make use of a wide-toothed comb to spread the oil throughout your hair evenly.
So go ahead, and start oiling your hair for good!