A triangle is a closed two-dimensional geometrical shape that has three sides, three angles, and three vertices. It is a polygon with three sides. The sum of the three angles of a triangle will always be 180 degrees. The word triangle is derived from the Latin word “triangulus” which means three-cornered. There are different types of triangle We can classify triangles according to their two major properties –the length of their sides and their angles.
Differentiation of various types of triangles:
We can differentiate different types of triangles based on their properties. There are 6 types of triangles classified based on the length of the sides and based on the measurement of angles. Here we will discuss them.
According to the basis of length of the sides, the triangles are categorized into three types. These are:
1. EquilateralTriangle: An equilateral triangle is that kind of triangle in which the lengths of all the sides are equal and the angles are also equal. The value of all the angles is the same i.e.,60 degrees. That’s why it is also known as an equiangular triangle. As this type of triangle has all the sides equal and the angles are equal too that’s why equilateral triangles are known as regular polygons or regular triangles.
- Sides are equal in length.
- All angles are 60 degrees.
- As all the three sides are the same in this type of triangle, they are regular polygons.
- Centroid and orthocenter are at the same point.
- Altitude, median, and angle director of all sides are the same for an equilateral triangle.
2. Isosceles Triangle: An isosceles triangle is a kind of triangle that has two sides of equal length. So, the angles of the opposite sides are equal too. So, we can say an isosceles triangle has two equal sides and two equal angles.
- Two sides are equal and they are known as legs.
- Two angles are equal.
- One side maybe 90 degrees in the case of a right isosceles triangle.
- The angle between two legs is called vertex angle.
- The side opposite to the vertex angle is called the base.
3. Scalene Triangle: A scalene triangle has 3 sides of different lengths. The measurement of the length of all sides is different in these types of triangles and all the angles are unequal also.
- All sides are different in length.
- All angles are different.
- A scalene triangle can also be right-angled, obtuse-angled, acute-angled.
According to the basis of angle, triangles and differentiated into three types. These are:
- Acute-angled triangles: When in a triangle, all the three interior angles are less than 90 degrees is called an acute-angled triangle angle which is less than 90 degrees is known as acute-angled triangles. Hence this type of triangle is known as an acute-angled triangle.
- All three angles are less than 90degrees.
- Acute-angled triangles can never be right-angled or obtuse-angled.
- All the angles may or may not be equal.
4. Obtuse-angled triangles: An obtuse-angled triangle is a type of triangle which have one angle which is more than 90 degrees. An angle which is more than 90 degree is known as the obtuse angle that’s why it is named so.
- One angle is more than 90degrees.
- The longest side kids are opposite to the obtuse angle.
- The sum of the other two angles is smaller than 90degrees.
- The orthocenter and circumcenter of obtuse-angled triangles lie outside.
- Right-angled triangles: A right-angled triangle has a 90-degree angle.90 degrees angle is known as the right angle. The opposite side of the right angle is the longest. This site is known as hypotenuse. An isosceles triangle may have a right angle and then this triangle will be known as the right isosceles triangle.
- One angle is always 90degrees.
- The opposite side of the right angle is the longest tide and this is the hypotenuse.
- The sum of the other two angles is equal to 90degree.
- The other two sides which have made the right angle are known as perpendicular and base.
So, we have discussed all the types of triangles and their properties that make them different from one another. Download the Cuemath app and learn more about all these types of triangles. This app will provide you more knowledge and will help you to understand math more accurately.